Tuesday, November 30, 2010

"Homemade Holidays" Guest Post

I guest posted yesterday over at Michele's blog "The Scrap Shoppe" . She's hosting a fun series called: 
I shared some more of my altered candles.
You'll need: 


  • Glass Jar Candle ( also known as prayer candles, Novena candles) You can find these lots of places.  I first found them at the grocery store but subsequently ordered a case of them from Dollar Tree's website. 
  • Scrapbook or wrapping papers
  • Embellishments...ribbon, buttons, beads, die cuts etc.
  • Mod Podge


I like to combine patterns and textures so I used three different papers:
Decide which paper you want as your base. Cut to 8x8 then tear top and bottom edges. Cut remaining papers to 8 inches length and decide how wide you want the next layer, I did 4 inches for the middle,  and then 3 for the top paper. Tear top paper across the top and bottom as you did for the base layer. Mod Podge your papers together to form your candle wrap. Should look like this:
Patterned paper base, music paper middle, patterned paper top
Mod Podge candle wrap to candle. Cover top with more Mod Podge and you'll have this:
You can make the "wrap" cover as much or as little of the candle as you like. Now it's time to embellish which is the fun part! I used various things I had on hand like buttons, self adhesive rhinestones, ribbon, silver tinsel pipecleaners.  I chose a couple of diecuts from a package by K&CO and adhered to the center with Mod Podge. Then I added these strips of rhinestones ( Michaels Dollar Section):
I also added some buttons using a dimensional adhesive or you can use hot glue:

And some more coordinating self adhesive rhinestones on top of the buttons. To finish, I like to wrap the top "lip" of the candle with ribbon or you can use wire, beading thread or whatever you can think of. I used some vintage looking ribbon yarn and a silver tinsel pipe cleaner on these.

Hopefully this made sense but if you have any questions, please leave a comment  or email me! There's really no right or wrong here. Thanks so much Michele for having me over for Handmade Christmas! 
Also linking up at:

16 comments:

Michelle L. said...

Oh, these are extra sweet ones! I have never seen those strips of bling before - thanks for the tip, must get me some of those.

Anonymous said...

how cool is that???
love the strips of bling :)
~victoria~

Room to Inspire said...

Gotta love those prayer candles! The bling is a great addition.

Chelsea

Our Hopeful Home said...

I actually bought one of these at the Dollar Tree today and my kids were like "Whaaat??" (It was a St. Jude Novena candle!) Anyway, I was going to search your blog for those instructions but now I don't have to! Thanks!

Netty said...

woo hoo, terrific work. Annette x

Melissa said...

I thought these were yours. You are totally addicted. They are great - but what do we expect - your stuff always is.

Lori said...

These are gorgeous, I just love the bling-bling...

lindalou said...

These are so cool and something I could actually do. They would make great homemade gifts.

Holly Lefevre said...

Just commented over at Michele's...these are beautiful!

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh, totally adorable!!! What a perfect project--and they'd make amazing gifts!!!
XO

Kelly said...

I found you through "Sew Woodsy." This is such a cute idea, and I love how you layered the papers. I'm a new follower of yours!

Kelly

Kelly said...

I found you through "Sew Woodsy." This is such a cute idea, and I love how you layered the papers. I'm a new follower of yours!

Kelly

Kelly said...

I found you through "Sew Woodsy." This is such a cute idea, and I love how you layered the papers. I'm a new follower of yours!

Kelly

Jacqueline said...

On my list of to do projects. I am so glad I saw these again. They are fabulous once again and sooo simple. You are so creative.

Anonymous said...

I love how versatile those candles are! Thanks for linking up to my Christmas Party. :)

Naturally Me Creations said...

These are lovely decorated candles! Very pretty...the layering and tearing of paper give it such a nice effect, i love it!