Saturday, April 2, 2011

I’ve Been Challenged to A Duel!

Mich in LA slapped my face! Sure she looks all innocent in that pic!

OK she didn’t actually, physically, smack my face…she’s way too cool for that. But she did challenge me! YIKES. Have you seen her creativity and her series on “Guess The Mystery Thing”? I hid under my bed.

When I emerged wearing my big girl pants, I agreed. I can take the public humiliation! That’s why there’s chocolate right?! This was actually the brainchild of another fun blogger, Michele from Michele Made Me ( there’s a theme!) . It’s called “Make It Good”

a two person, recycling craft challenge. The challenge rules can be found here but basically, you are issued a theme and a required element and the rest is up to you! Our theme was Industrial Architecture and the required element was…………bread tags! You know, those plastic square tags that keep your bread bags closed?

After almost giving in to chickening out, I started looking around at images of Industrial Architecture and kept coming back to old abandoned factories. So I found an image in my PrintShop Deluxe program that I thought I’d use. I also looked around my craft room and my eyes landed on an empty container in my stash along with some aluminum tape from the electrical aisle at the HW store.
IMG_5171
I covered my bread tags in the aluminum tape because in my head they became “bricks” to go on my “building”.
IMG_5174

IMG_5180
For the box itself, I covered it first w/ white contact paper and I roughed it up a bit with an emery board to make it more Industrial. I went around the bottom half with some decorative tape I’ve used on other projects.

I applied some of the aluminum tape to a scrap piece of cardboard ( cereal box) and ran that through my Cuttlebug using Tim Holtz’ Texture Fades ( Dot Matrix and Gridlock) embossing folder. Tore pieces of that up and applied to the box.
IMG_5182
This is the top of the box with a closeup of the grunged aluminum strip. Covered the top of the box with the aluminum tape. I went around the top edge of the box w/ a K&Co adhesive scrapbook border.
IMG_5178
I took the image from my PrintShop program and made it a negative and aged it. Printed it out, covered it with clear packing tape, added photo corners, and adhered to the container.

So there’s my Industrial Architecture Bread Tag Using challenge submission! And now for the scariest part.....I link here to Michelle's project and invite you to go visit.  We’ll now await her, and your judgment! 

14 comments:

Christine said...

"Is this a challenge?" lol! I really like it...keep us posted...

Unknown said...

Metallicized bread tags, of course!!! I love that idea. You managed to incorporate the industrial theme in this and a variety of other ways too: the image, the super-cool black border! Most impressive, Carol. Way to play!

Vicki said...

That is a fun challenge. Great ideas.

LuLu Kellogg said...

Now this is inventive!!! LOVE it!

I am catching up on your Blog this morning since I am now back from CA and can breathe even though my suitcase is still packed........LOL

xoxo

Anne P said...

Pretty! She will enjoy this. So will her dragon!

Michelle L. said...

Ooooh, I had no idea what you would do but I knew I would love it! Now WHY didn't I think of covering the tags with silver tape??? I must remake my robots in silver. The box is very lovely, I esp. like the faded architectural print mounted with those photo corners - such a classy addition.

Thanks, dear Carol, for being a worthy opponent (and being so encouraging and patient when I wrote to tell you I was stumped and needed more time)!

Hey, I think we aced this challenge, don't you? Yay, us! Now it's YOUR turn to tag someone. And I get to set your challenge rules. Be afraid, Little Ms. Chocolate - be very afraid.

Screaming Sardine said...

Wow, that is awesome. I would never be able to think up something so creative and cute. Kudos to you!

Cheers,
Tracy All Thumbs Crafts

1CardCreator said...

Wow, you are both so clever! Love both of your projects!

Melissa said...

Great job - way to think outside of the box...literally!! Isn't amazing what a good challenge will yield?

Netty said...

Gosh that was a difficult challenge but you mastered it. I take my hat off to you (if I wore one, which I don't) xx

Our Hopeful Home said...

You're amazing, really ~ so creative. I would have stayed under the bed!

Anji* said...

Very cool! Love the aluminium covered bread tags and the embossed aluminium!

Life in Rehab said...

Making the hop over from Michelle's place, and I love that you covered the bread tags in aluminum tape!

Periwinkle Dzyns said...

wow! great work, I followed over here from Michelle's blog, I've tried painting bread tags with nail polish and dying them with rit, but the tape is a great idea!!!